TUNNEL LIGHTS

The thoughts, reflections, rants, raves, on my life; The life of a Christian, black, gay, male.

scan0001 I was about to chew one a piece of this (which is quite good) when by chance I flipped the package over. If you look at the list of ingredients you see that there is one highlighted. You are probably asking yourself like I did

“What is ‘Phenylalanine’ and why is it highlighted?”

Here is what i found out.

Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid (building block for proteins in the body). It is essential to human health but cannot be manufactured by the body. For this reason, phenylalanine must be obtained from food. It is available in three chemical forms, including L-phenylalanine (the natural form of phenylalanine found in proteins throughout the body), D-phenylalanine (a mirror image of L-phenylalanine that is synthesized in a laboratory), and DL-phenylalanine, a combination of the previous two forms

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/phenylalanine-000318.htm

Ok so no problem right, but why is it in my gum?

L-phenylalanine is found in most foods that contain protein such as beef, poultry, pork, fish, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, soy products (including soy protein isolate, soybean flour, and tofu), and certain nuts and seeds. The artificial sweetener aspartame is also high in phenylalanine.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/phenylalanine-000318.htm

This explains why it is my gum but of course why the need to highlight it and bold it? More research and this is what I found

a rare metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria (PKU) occurs in people who are missing an enzyme that is needed to properly metabolize phenylalanine, causing high levels of phenylalanine in the body. Symptoms of PKU, which tend to appear between 3 and 6 months of age, include eczema, developmental delay, an abnormally small head, and hyperactivity. If it is not treated before 3 weeks of age, PKU can cause severe, irreversible mental retardation. In the United States, newborns are tested for PKU during the first 48 - 72 hours of life.

People with PKU must eat a phenylalanine-restricted, tyrosine-supplemented diet to have optimum brain development and growth. Rarely, over-restriction of phenylalanine in the diet can lead to deficiency of this amino acid, with the same symptoms described above

People with phenylketonuria (PKU) and women who are lactating or are pregnant should not take phenylalanine supplements. Aspartame, found in artificial sweeteners such as Nutrasweet, is a source of phenylalanine for the body. Therefore, the use of aspartame is not recommended in individuals with PKU. Little is known about the use of aspartame during pregnancy. Talk with your health care provider about using this artificial sweetener.

DL-phenylalanine should not be used in individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia, as it may cause symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. Tardive dyskinesias (TDs) are involuntary movements of the tongue, lips, face, trunk, and extremities that generally occur in patients treated with long-term antipsychotic drug use.

DL-phenylalanine may cause symptoms of anxiety, jitteriness, and hyperactivity in children. Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may need to avoid foods containing aspartame, which is made from phenylalanine.

Doses in excess of 5,000 mg a day may be toxic and can cause nerve damage. High quantities of DL-phenylalanine may cause mild side effects such as nausea, heartburn, and headaches.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/phenylalanine-000318.htm

“OH SHIT! WHAT THE HELL IS IN MY GUM?”

That is were I was left after reading that. I knew that I did not have this “PKU disorder” so I know that I’m ok in that order and even though I’ve been jokingly told that I have ADD I haven't the papers so I’m cool on that front. All in all this did no seem to be that bad but me being me I did more research and I came across this web site http://sweetpoison.com/ How much of this information is true or just scare tactic used to sell her book i’ll let you all be the judge of. I did not post any of her research because frankly it looked a little “ify” to me but none the less it is there your you too check out and look through.

Is it safe for me? I guess so (according to the lady in the sweetpoison.com website hell now) but just knowing that there is something that has the potential to be so harmful in something so everyday, something so harmless has put me off. The information is out there for you to make the decision for yourself but for me I think that I will pass just to be on the safe side. I thought you all should know too.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About this blog

I offer my own unique voice, my own vision. I think the saying goes that writers write because no one else can say what they have to say quite the way they have to say it. That is why I write, that is what I offer.

Followers

Labels

My twitter