TUNNEL LIGHTS

The thoughts, reflections, rants, raves, on my life; The life of a Christian, black, gay, male.

juneteenth First lets start with al little history of what “Juneteenth” really is or was.

“Though the Emancipation Proclamation had been issued on September 22, 1862, with an effective date of January 1, 1863, it had minimal immediate effect on most slaves’ day-to-day lives, particularly in Texas, which was almost entirely under Confederate control. Juneteenth commemorates June 19, 1865, the day Union General Gordon Granger and 2,000 federal troops arrived in Galveston, Texas, to take possession of the state and enforce the emancipation of its slaves. Legend has it while standing on the balcony of Galveston’s Ashton Villa, Granger read the contents of “General Order No. 3”:

The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.[10]

That day has since become known as Juneteenth, a name derived from a portmanteau of the words June and nineteenth.

Former slaves in Galveston rejoiced in the streets with jubilant celebrations. Juneteenth celebrations began in Texas the following year.[10] Across many parts of Texas, freed people pooled their funds to purchase land specifically for their communities’ increasingly large Juneteenth gatherings — including Houston’s Emancipation Park, Mexia’s Booker T. Washington Park, and Emancipation Park in Austin.[10] Juneteenth celebrations include a wide range of festivities, such as parades, street fairs, cookouts, or park parties and include such things as music and dancing or even contests of physical strength and intellect. Baseball and other popular American games may also be played.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth)

The celebration of this event in history was not and is not limited to Texas; for as long as I could remember this was always one of the summer celebrations that was held in the bay area, along with the dearly departed “Festival at the Lake” and many others.

This years celebration was a happy reintroduction due to its absences last year. There were many booths selling Barack and Michelle Obama T-shirts, Barack and Michelle Obama refrigerator magnets, and to my surprise; something I haven't seen before, Barack and Michelle Obama themed watches with big faces and rhinestones made to look like diamonds. The majority of the vendors were food vendors which was a good thing, unlike other open air festivals were you only have one section of food vendors and there are one or two vendors, creating a line that is insufferable. You could actually walk up and get food and be on your way.

This I say if you were able to find a park. I went with my mother and my little nephew and we made the mistake of driving. I think; no, I know that if we had have parked at the Bart station, took Bart and walked, we would have made better time than the 45 minuets we spent driving around a 5 block radius looking for a park.

Upon arrival we were greeted to the sounds of one of the De’Barge brothers singing a few of his brother’s (El’s) not so old stand by’s. Which De’Barge this was I do not know but he tried his best to belt out his brother’s hits. I gave him credit because I think there were tremendous sound problems. The mic cut in and out every 3 or so minuets and I saw someone intermittently adjusting his mic while he was singing, but he gave it a valiant effort. My mother on the other said that the De’Barge brother just did not know the words.

The overwhelming amount of security and police I felt was not necessary. This to me sends out and re-enforces the stereotype that black people can not gather together in large groups without there being any problems. I can see the devils advocate reasoning behind it stating that better to be safe than sorry, but the four or five cop/security mixture posted at every block end I think might have cost the event promoters more than what was needed. That however is something for the planning committee to take up and review next year.

It was a cool and fun event and carried me back to summer days as a child in the Bay Area. Every summer there was something going on. There was an event being held every two or three days if not then every weekend. In 2009 one can count on the Ashby flee market every weekend (weather permitting). There is also the Art and Soul festival this years will be August 15 & 16 (according to the website http://www.artandsouloakland.com/) instead of Labor Day weekend.

I love outdoor, summer time events. The sun on my skin, the music in the air, the people smiling and laughing, dancing and singing to their own tune. (Even though, sometimes it is not in tune with the one playing over the speakers.) Say what you will about public gatherings and outdoor events but I do believe that they are the stuff that is life blood to thriving communities. The life blood to a happy soul. (which is why I always take prospects to the flea market at least once very early one if not the second or third date. If you cant stand the flea market then I know that there is a 90% chance we wont work out, but that is another topic) People enjoying the sun and heat at a block party or some sponsored event is one of the things that makes summer my favorite season. In winter you are stuck inside, trying to escape cold and rain. The spring time for me was never fun: it was not hot enough, there was always a chance of rain, and on top of it all my allergies would configure my face to resemble a plague victim. Then there is summer. Summer you have just the right amount of hot to have that BBQ craving gene kick in. Summer is when people shed the unnecessary garments of constraint and just have fun. They have fun with their neighbors, family, and good ole fashion friends. Summertime is the time for letting go, relaxing and exhaling a sigh of relief. The relief that hardships are over for now and one can enjoy a time of ease or even just to forget. In the summer one can easily wake up and greet the sun with a smile and know that today is a day that the sun is smiling back

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About this blog

I offer my own unique voice, my own vision. I think the saying goes that writers write because no one else can say what they have to say quite the way they have to say it. That is why I write, that is what I offer.

Followers

Labels

My twitter